What’s not to love about Milk Duds? The chocolate covered sweet caramel balls are chewy and taste of honeycomb. One thing they are definitely not are duds!
Why are they called Milk Duds?
So, who calls candy a dud? That’s what you call something that doesn’t work properly or is disappointing and Milk Duds certainly don’t disappoint! Well, back in the 1920’s when Milk Duds were created by Hoffman and Company, they found it impossible to make perfectly round shapes, so they called them ‘duds’, hence the name Milk Duds.
Milk Duds are as popular as ever, having been an American favourite since 1926 and one of the top selling chocolate candy products in the USA. Today, Milk Duds are made by Hershey’s (one of the largest chocolate makers in the world!) but you can grab a bag of Milk Duds right here!
Did you know you can use Milk Duds in cooking?
Having delighted chocolate lovers for decades, not only do Milk Duds make the perfect chocolate snack, but these chocolate covered caramel candies can also be used in cooking.
Imagine for a moment - Milk Duds Cookies or chocolatey and gooey Milk Duds Brownies, now that sounds mouth-wateringly delicious. Kids and adults alike will adore them.
You can also use Milk Duds as cake decorations, they work perfectly when placed on cupcakes, chocolate cakes and cheesecakes.
Check out these Milk Duds recipes
Milk Duds Cookies
1 cup butter, softened (room temperature)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup peanut butter
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bag Milk Duds
- Cream together butter and sugars. Beat until fluffy. Add peanut butter. Mix well.
- Whisk the eggs. Add to peanut butter mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture. Mix well.
- With a small cookie scoop or teaspoon, scoop cookie dough. Place a Milk Dud in the middle. Roll dough around the Milk Dud. Dip in sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes. Cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from the pan.
- To lessen the gooey caramel leakage, make sure to completely cover the candy with cookie before baking.
Milk Duds Cake Mix Bar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 glass baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix the cake mix, evaporated milk, and melted butter in a mixer – beating well.
- Add 1 cup of the milk duds and 1 cup of the chocolate chips – beat well.
- Transfer ¾ of the batter to the prepared pan and spread out flat in the bottom as best you can. It’s very sticky. You can wet your hands to make it stick a bit less or use a rubber spatula coated in cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove.
- Top with remaining milk duds & chocolate chips.
- Drop the remaining batter on the top in spoonfuls- do not spread out – leave it chunky.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 40-45 minutes.
- Check with the toothpick test- it should be mostly clean.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container (if they last that long!)
OMG a Milk Duds milkshake
Yes, just when you thought Milk Duds couldn’t get any better, we found this amazing Milk Duds milkshake recipe.
Where can I buy Milk Duds in the UK?
If you’re mad to get your hands on some milk duds, then look no further than Candy Mail, the home of American candy in the UK. You simply order these little balls of chewy, sweet caramel covered in a milk chocolate flavour coating online and we’ll deliver to your door.
Why not enjoy this Milk Duds Theatre Box whether you are going to the cinema or just planning a night at home, these chewy chocolatey treats will delight the whole family.